Dreamy Creamy Blueberry Slab Pie
Just like the name promises, this Dreamy Creamy Blueberry Slab Pie really is what dreams are made of.
Prep: 30 min | Bake: 45 min
Taking second place in the America’s Best Blueberry Pie Contest, the irresistible combo of fresh blueberries and cream cheese gives this pie a rich texture and tangy edge that will keep people coming back for another slice.
If your pan has a slightly different dimension, this recipe will still work.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 3/4 cups lard (or use vegetable shortening if desired)
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 7 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 12 ounces brick cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, separated
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Whisk together flour, sugar, salt and cardamom. Cut in lard until mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl whisk together water, vinegar and egg. Add to flour mixture and stir until moistened. Shape into 2 disks, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Stir together blueberries, tapioca, sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together cream cheese, lemon zest, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and sugar.
- Thinly roll out one dough disk to fit into a 15 x 10 x 1 inch sheet pan. Trim edges. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over dough. Top with blueberry mixture.
- Roll out the second dough disk and cut it into strips. Cover pie with dough strips and finish edges as you like.
- Whisk together egg and water. Brush on strips and edges. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake pie on second to the bottom rack at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake 15 minutes longer or until done.
Per serving: Daily Value %* Calories 650 Total Fat 40g 62% Saturated Fat 18g 90% Cholesterol 45mg 15% Sodium 390mg 16% Potassium 170mg 5% Dietary Fiber 3g 12% Sugars 29g Protein 7g 14% Vitamin A 110mcg Vitamin C 10mg 17% Calcium 40mg 4% Iron 2mg 11% Vitamin D 0mcg
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
US Highbush Blueberry Council
Created by Renata Stanko for America’s Best Blueberry Pie Contest