Mixed Fruit and Mascarpone Slab Pie
Sweet red cherries, cranberries and Granny Smith apples are the fruit filling. Ingredients for the Cheese filling include mascarpone cheese and amaretto liqueur.
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup ice cold water
- 2 cups (16 ounces) Wisconsin mascarpone cheese
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pound (about 2 cups) sweet red cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen, (thawed)
- 2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Crust: Whisk flour, sugar and salt in large bowl. Using pastry cutter, cut
butter into flour mixture until it resembles size of small peas. Mix vinegar with
water; Sprinkle vinegar-water mixture over dry ingredients, 1 tablespoon at a time,
using 6 tablespoons liquid in total and fluffing with 2 forks after each tablespoon
addition. Dough will have consistency of rough, coarse crumbs.
- Squeeze dough between two fingers; if it falls apart, add a bit more water; fluff
and test again.
- Turn dough onto floured surface; gently knead until it comes together. Divide
into 2 pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate
at least 1 hour.
- Remove larger disk of dough from refrigerator; on lightly floured surface, roll
out to rectangle that is about 18 x 13 inches. Transfer dough to sheet pan, leaving
a 3/4-inch overhang. Chill.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cheese Filling: Place mascarpone in bowl of electric mixer and beat a few
seconds to smooth; do not overbeat.
- Add remaining cheese filling ingredients, beating until smooth. Set aside.
- Fruit Filling: Place cherries, cranberries and cubed apples in large bowl.
Mix in lemon zest and juice.
- Add brown sugar, sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon
and cardamom. Toss to combine.
- Assembly: Spread cheese filling over crust. Spread fruit mixture over cheese,
pressing down slightly; set aside.
- Remove second dough disk from refrigerator. Place on floured surface and roll
out to 16 x 11-inch rectangle. Place over fruit filling, leaving dough overhang.
Pinch edges of top and bottom dough pieces together to seal, then roll under and
- Brush top crust with egg wash; cut a few slits for ventilation, and sprinkle
with sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
- Cool pie on rack to slightly warm or room temperature to serve.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Slab Pie Recipes