Mixed Fruit and Mascarpone Slab Pie
Sweet red cherries, cranberries and Granny Smith apples are the fruit filling for this Mixed Fruit and Mascarpone Slab Pie. Ingredients for the Cheese filling include mascarpone cheese and amaretto liqueur.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup ice cold water
- 2 cups (16 ounces) Wisconsin mascarpone cheese
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pound (about 2 cups) sweet red cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen, (thawed)
- 2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus additional for sprinkling
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Crust: Whisk flour, sugar and salt in large bowl. Using pastry cutter, cut
butter into flour mixture until it resembles size of small peas.
- Mix vinegar with water; Sprinkle vinegar-water mixture over dry ingredients, 1 tablespoon at a time, using 6 tablespoons liquid in total and fluffing with 2 forks after each tablespoon addition. Dough will have consistency of rough, coarse crumbs.
- Squeeze dough between two fingers; if it falls apart, add a bit more water; fluff and test again.
- Turn dough onto floured surface; gently knead until it comes together. Divide into 2 pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Remove larger disk of dough from refrigerator; on lightly floured surface, roll out to rectangle that is about 18 x 13 inches. Transfer dough to sheet pan, leaving a 3/4-inch overhang. Chill.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cheese Filling: Place mascarpone in bowl of electric mixer and beat a few
seconds to smooth; do not overbeat.
- Add remaining cheese filling ingredients, beating until smooth. Set aside.
- Fruit Filling: Place cherries, cranberries and cubed apples in large bowl.
Mix in lemon zest and juice.
- Add brown sugar, sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon and cardamom. Toss to combine.
- Assembly: Spread cheese filling over crust. Spread fruit mixture over cheese, pressing down slightly; set aside.
- Remove second dough disk from refrigerator. Place on floured surface and roll out to 16 x 11-inch rectangle. Place over fruit filling, leaving dough overhang. Pinch edges of top and bottom dough pieces together to seal, then roll under and crimp edges.
- Brush top crust with egg wash; cut a few slits for ventilation, and sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
- Cool pie on rack to slightly warm or room temperature to serve.
Yield: 12 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin