Cuba Libre Chiffon Pie
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatine
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Coca-Cola, at room temperature*
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1 cup whipped topping or whipped cream
- 1 (9-inch) Graham cracker or chocolate cookie crust or baked pie shell
- 2 tablespoons grated lime zest
* To reduce foam for accurate measurement, use Coca-Cola at room temperature
and stir rapidly.
- In top of double boiler, stir together 1/2 cup sugar, gelatine and salt. Stir in all Coca-Cola.
- Beat egg yolks; stir into cola mixture. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until gelatine is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from boiling water; stir in lime juice and rum.
- Chill until mixture mounds when dropped from spoon.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff and glossy.
- Fold gelatine mixture into whipped topping, then carefully fold this into egg whites.
- Chill for several minutes, then pile into pie crust.
- Sprinkle with grated zest.
- Chill for several hours until firm.
- Top each serving with a dollop of whipped cream if desired.
Yield: 8 servings
Per serving: 330 calories; 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 30 percent calories
from fat); 51 g carbohydrates; 80 mg cholesterol; 230 mg sodium; 4 g protein; 0.5
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.