- 1 (9-inch) pre-baked piecrust
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatine
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dark rum, brandy or bourbon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Nutmeg (for garnish)
- Soften gelatine in 1 tablespoon cold water. Set aside.
- Scald milk in the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup cold water and stir into scalded milk.
- Add sugar, salt and beaten egg yolks. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar has completely dissolved, about 15 minutes.
- Add softened gelatine and stir until gelatine has been dissolved.
- Add butter, vanilla extract and liquor, then cool.
- Beat heavy cream until stiff. Fold into filling and pour into the cooled pie shell.
- Garnish with freshly-grated nutmeg and refrigerate until serving time.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.