Frozen Pina Colada Pie
This is one of my own creations as I love coconut macaroons and it goes over
great in summer!
- 1 1/3 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 5 ounces frozen pina colada mix
- 2 cups pineapple sherbet
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut flakes
- Yellow food coloring
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, stir together coconut, sugar, cocoa, flour and salt.
- Add egg
whites and almond extract; stir until well blended.
- Drop by teaspoons onto a lightly greased and floured a 9-inch pie pan. Gently
press mixture into pie pan, pulling mixture up sides, a little bit beyond the edge
of the pan.
- Bake in middle of oven for 18 to 25 minutes until set in middle and
light golden brown.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Soften ice cream.
- Stir in rum and return to freezer.
- Soften sherbet. Stir in frozen pina colada mix and a little yellow food coloring
to make it a nice "pineapple" color.
- Return to freezer until nearly firm
(5 to 10 minutes).
- Spoon ice cream mixture into pie crust.
- Spoon dollops of sherbet on top and swirl
together with a knife to marble.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut and freeze until
Yield: 12 - 16 servings
Posted by artsycook at Recipe Goldmine April 2001.