- 3/4 cup pretzel crumbs
- 5 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 envelope plain gelatine
- 1/2 cup fresh Mexican lime juice
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated Mexican lime zest
- 1/4 cup Jose Cuervo Gold tequila
- 3 tablespoons Cointreau or Triple Sec
- Crust: Combine crumbs, butter and sugar and press the mixture into a 9-inch pie
- Filling: Sprinkle gelatine over lime juice and let the mixture set for a few
minutes until it is soft.
- Beat egg yolks in the top of a double boiler and add 1/2 cup of the sugar and
the lime zest and continue beating.
- Add gelatine and continue cooking over the boiling
water, stirring constantly until the mixture is slightly thickened. Pour this mixture
into a bowl and blend in the tequila and Cointreau.
- Chill this mixture for 30 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until frothy and foamy and gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup
sugar; continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the whipped whites into the
chilled, cooked mixture and pour into the crust.
- Chill until set, about 5 hours.