Apple and Dried Cherry Strudel
Traditional strudel dough is rolled and stretched paper-thin by hand. To save
time, use frozen phyllo dough, which is completely prepared and easy to use. Thaw
phyllo overnight in your refrigerator for best results when making strudel.
- 1/2 cup dried tart red cherries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled
cooking apples (about 1 pound)
- 10 to 12 sheets frozen phyllo dough (about 18
x 12-inch rectangles), thawed
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated
- Pour enough boiling water over dried cherries to cover; let stand 20 minutes.
- Drain cherries.
- In a large mixing bowl combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- Add apples and
dried cherries; toss gently to mix. Set cherry mixture aside.
- To assemble, cover a large surface with a floured bed sheet; unfold phyllo dough.
Stack 2 layers of phyllo on the floured bed sheet, brushing between layers with
some melted butter. Arrange another stack of 2 layers on the bed sheet, brushing
between and overlapping stacks slightly. Add 3-4 more stacks, brushing and overlapping,
forming a rectangle about 40 x 18 inches (stagger stacks so all seams are not down
the middle). If necessary, trim to a 40 x 18-inch rectangle. Brush with melted butter.
- Beginning 4 inches from one short side of the dough, spoon filling in a 4-inch-wide
band across the dough. Using the bed sheet underneath as a guide, gently lift the
4-inch piece of dough and lay it over the filling. Slowly and evenly lift the bed
sheet and roll up the dough and filling, jellyroll style, into a tight roll. If
necessary, cut excess dough from ends to within 1 inch of filling. Brush top with
remaining butter; sprinkle with granulated sugar. Fold ends under to seal. Carefully
transfer strudel roll to a lightly greased 17 x 14-inch baking sheet. Bake in a
preheated 350 degree F oven for 35-40 minutes, or till golden. Carefully remove
strudel from pan.
- Cool on a rack.
Posted by Chyrel at Recipe Goldmine 1/25/2002 7:01 pm.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Strudel Recipes