Apple Walnut Strudel with Vanilla Sauce
- 5 Granny Smith or Pippin apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 4 ounces butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon apple juice or water
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 (8 x 12-inch) puff pastry dough sheets
- Egg wash (1 beaten egg with 1 ounce water)
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 1/2 ounces granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- Strudel: In a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add sugars, lemon zest, raisins and cinnamon mixing well.
- Add apple juice or water. This mixture will begin to caramelize to form a glaze.
- Place sliced apples in a mixing bowl.
- Pour warm glaze over apples and mix well to coat evenly.
- Place puff pastry dough sheets on floured work surface. Brush with egg wash.
- Portion glazed apples lengthwise down the center of the dough sheets.
- Sprinkle generously with walnuts and streusel. Fold over one side of the pastry to cover
apples then fold over the other side to encase the mixture. Fold under edges to seal.
- Carefully turn over filled pastry and place on baking sheet.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with additional streusel.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly and dust with confectioners sugar.
- Slice with a serrated knife.
- Vanilla Sauce: Bring the milk to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl and whisk until mixture forms ribbons.
- Combine warm milk and egg mixture in a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until sauce thickens.
- Test by coating a spoon with sauce and running a finger across it. If the sauce does not run together, it is at the proper consistency.
- Remove from heat and incorporate the 1/2 cup of cold milk. Strain sauce and chill in a container placed in a bowl of ice water.
- When cool, cover and refrigerate until serving time. Sauce may thicken when refrigerated. Simply add more milk to thin to desired consistency.
Yield: 2 strudels (14 to 16 servings); 2 cups Vanilla Sauce
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.