- 1 pound strudel dough or phyllo
- 1/2 pound poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup vanilla sugar or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract mixed with 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, separated, the whites stiffly beaten
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk, heated
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and grated
- Melted butter for the phyllo
- Beat the vanilla sugar with the egg yolks until smooth and light-colored.
in the flour, lemon peel, butter and then the hot milk.
- Put into a saucepan and
bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the poppy seeds and return to a simmer. Turn off the
heat and let it cool.
- When cool, mix in the raisins and grated apple, then fold in the egg whites.
- Prepare the phyllo or strudel dough by brushing with melted butter (do this for
several layers if using phyllo).
- Spread the filling on 1/3 of the dough and roll
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Strudel Recipes