- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups apricot preserves, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts, divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar mixed with 3 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 3/4 cup golden raisins, divided
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting and rolling
- Dough: Mix dough ingredients together in bowl and knead into smooth dough. Separate
into three balls. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for a few hours.
- Roll 1 ball of dough onto lightly floured and confectioners' sugared surface.
Roll into circle.
- Filling: Spread each circle generously with 1 cup apricot preserves.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup shredded coconut.
- Spread 1/2 cup chopped walnuts over top.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Top with 1/4 cup golden raisins. Roll from
one side into a log. Pinch ends together.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or
until top is lightly golden. Do not over-bake (the top looks light).
- Remove from oven and lightly slice 1/4 inch crosswise only on the top of the
loaf. Wait 15 minutes and slice through. Let cool completely.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Yield: 3 strudels, each cut into 12 slices
* The dough may be frozen in three balls. The baked slices can also be frozen
without confectioners' sugar on top.