Apple Frangipane Tart
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons (or more) ice water
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces almond paste, crumbled
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 medium Golden Delicious apples, peeled, quartered, cored, and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon warm honey
- Crust: Mix flour, sugar and salt in food processor. Add butter; cut in
using on/off turns until coarse crumbs form. Add water. Process
until small moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonsful
if dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap dough in
plastic. Chill until cold, about 1 hour.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to an 11-inch round.
Remove top sheet of plastic. Using bottom sheet of plastic as an
aid, invert dough into a 9-inch diameter tart pan. Remove plastic.
Fold overhanging dough in; press to form high standing, double-thick
sides. Pierce dough all over with a fork. Freeze 30 minutes. (Can
be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover dough and keep frozen.)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake crust until golden, about 25 minutes.
Cool on rack. Maintain oven temperature.
- Filling: Combine butter and almond paste in food processor and blend until
smooth. Add egg and process until well blended. Add flour and process
just until blended. Spread filling evenly over bottom of crust.
Toss apples with sugar in large bowl. Arrange apples in concentric
circles atop filling. Brush apples with melted butter.
- Place tart on baking sheet. Bake until apples are tender and light
golden, about 40 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool for 15 minutes.
Brush apples with honey.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
From the kitchen of Richard and Jeannine Dorsey - Scottsdale,
Arizona, by way of Bon Appetit magazine - February 1999
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.