Banana Caramel Tart
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 3 large bananas, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- Sauce: In a heavy saucepan, heat the cream over medium low heat
until bubbles form along the edges of the pan; keep warm.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and lemon juice until well mixed.
Cover the pot and place it over medium high heat until the sugar
melts and bubbles, about 4 minutes. Remove the cover and occasionally
swirl the pan or stir the mixture until the syrup is a golden amber
color, 5 to 8 minutes.
- While cooking, brush the sides of the pan
with a wet brush just above the bubbling sugar to keep crystals
from forming. Stirring constantly, slowly pour the warm cream. Bring
to a boil, continuing to stir constantly. Cook until slightly thickened,
about 3 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, add the butter, and stir until the
butter melts and the sauce is smooth.
- Serve immediately or cool
to room temperature, then cover tightly and refrigerate for up to
two weeks, reheat in a pan of simmering water or a microwave.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Crust: In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar, with an electric
mixer, until blended. Beat in yolk, vanilla extract and salt. Add
flour and beat until moist clumps form. Press dough into bottom
of 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Pierce with fork and refrigerate
for 1 hour.
- Bake crust until golden (about 15 minutes). Cool.
- Topping: Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Overlap banana
slices on crust, covering completely. Brush melted butter over banana
slices and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until just warmed through (3
minutes). Drizzle with some caramel sauce over bananas then sprinkle
with macadamia nuts.
- Serve with ice cream (vanilla or coconut) and pass extra caramel
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 15, 2001.