Grands! Little Pies
Lea Mead of San Mateo, California, won $10,000 in the Fast &
Fabulous Desserts & Treats category at the 40th Pillsbury Bake-Off
Contest. Mead says the inspiration for this dish was "a potluck
dinner where I wanted to take pie, but knew that pies tend to get
- 3/4 cup Pillsbury BEST all-purpose or unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, if desired
- 1 (17.3 ounce) can Pillsbury Grands! Refrigerated Flaky Biscuits
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple, blueberry or cherry pie filling
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- With pastry
blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Stir in nuts.
- Separate dough into eight biscuits. Split each biscuit in half to
make 16 rounds. With floured fingers, flatten each to form 4-inch
round. Press each biscuit round into an ungreased 2 3/4 by 1 1/4-inch
- Spoon 2 tablespoons pie filling into each biscuit-lined
cup. Sprinkle each with about 2 tablespoons flour mixture. (Cups
will be full.)
- Bake for 15 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove from muffin cups; place on wire rack. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In small bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Top each
serving with whipped cream; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
Yield: 16 servings
Per serving: 350 calories; 21 g fat (10 g saturated fat; 54
percent calories from fat); 36 g carbohydrates; 45 mg cholesterol;
370 mg sodium; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber