This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Lemon Meringue Tartlets
- 3 sheets cinnamon- or honey-flavored Graham crackers
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- Grated rind of 1 lemon (use colored portion of peel)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar, forced through a sieve to remove lumps
- 1 dash cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In bowl of food processor, crush crackers into fine crumbs.
crumbs and melted butter, stir until mixture sticks together. Pat
into 2 (4-inch) tart pans or custard cups.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes,
until crust is lightly browned and firm. Set aside.
- In heavy bottom pan, combine grated rind, lemon juice, sugar, salt
and butter. Simmer until butter melts.
- In bowl, beat eggs.
- Pour half of lemon mixture over eggs. Beat together.
- Pour into pan containing remaining lemon mixture, cook over lowest
heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick.
- Remove from heat
immediately before eggs set. If there are solid pieces of egg, strain
- Spoon filling into prepared crusts.
- Let cool for 30 minutes.
- In clean bowl of mixer, beat egg white until frothy.
- Gradually add
brown sugar, cream of tartar and salt, continue beating until mixture
is stiff and glossy.
- Gently pile onto filling. Broil 30 seconds to brown.
- Let cool to room temperature.
Yield: 2 servings
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 15, 2001.