Lemon Zest Tart
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, cut into bits and chilled
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening, chilled
- 1/4 cup ice water
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatine
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Pastry Shell: Combine flour, sugar and salt in food processor.
Whirl to blend. Drop in butter; pulse 3 or 4 times.
- Add the shortening and process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With the machine running, add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time. When
the mixture forms lumps, remove the dough from the work bowl and
quickly press into a patty.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and
chill for 30 minutes. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll dough out into an 11-inch circle. Ease into a 10-inch tart
pan with removable bottom. Trim the edge. Prick the bottom all over
with a fork.
- Bake the shell for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Let cool.
- Tart Filling: Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, butter, eggs,
yolks and sugar in a heavy enamel saucepan. Cook the mixture over
low heat, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened. Do not
let boil. remove from heat.
- Sprinkle gelatine over the cold water
in 1-cup glass measuring cup. Let stand for 2 minutes for gelatine to
- Place cup in small saucepan of simmering water, stirring gelatine
occasionally to dissolve, about 2 minutes.
- Stir gelatin into lemon
mixture until well blended.
- Spread the filling evenly in the pastry shell.
- Chill completely before serving.
- Remove sides of tart pan.
- Decorate with citrus leaves.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Tart Recipes