- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Rind of 2 limes, grated
- 2 drops green food coloring
- Tart shells, baked
- Slivered almonds, toasted
- Cook sugar and butter in top of double boiler until sugar is dissolved.
- Slowly add a little of hot mixture to eggs, stirring quickly.
egg mixture back into hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- Add lime
juice, stirring almost constantly until thickened.
- Add rind; cool.
- Add food coloring.
- To serve, pour into tart shells and sprinkle almonds on top.
Yields 8 individual or 24 bite-size tarts.