- 12 ounces almond paste (1 cup plus 3 tablespoons)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 3 tablespoons kirsch, amaretto, triple sec or brandy
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Confectioners' sugar
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter the sides of a 9-inch round baking pan that is at least 2
inches deep or use a springform pan and line the bottom of the pan
with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, blend the almond paste with the water to form
a smooth paste. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric beater, cream the butter
and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the almond paste and beat
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after
each addition. Add kirsch and mix well.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and fold the flour mixture
into the creamed mixture by hand.
- Spread in the prepared baking
pan and bake for about 1 hour or until a wooden pick comes out clean
when inserted in center. If the cake is underdone, it will fall
as it cools.
- Turn the cake out of the pan and dust with confectioners' sugar.