Milky Way Tart
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch process)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 1/2 ounces high-quality milk chocolate (such as
Lindt or Perugina), chopped
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup
(1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons
- Unsweetened cocoa powder (for dusting)
- Make crust. Whisk flour and cocoa in medium bowl.
- Beat butter and confectioners' sugar in another medium bowl until well blended.
- Beat in yolk.
- Add flour mixture in 2 additions, beating just until blended.
dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces. Press each onto bottom and up sides of 4 1/2-inch
diameter tartlet pan with removable bottom.
- Refrigerate crusts for 1 hour or freeze
for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake cold crusts until set and dry-looking, about 12 minutes, pressing with back
of spoon if bubbles form. Cool crusts in pans.
- Make filling. Place milk chocolate in medium bowl. Bring 1 1/2 cups cream to
simmer in small saucepan. Pour hot cream over chocolate; let stand 1 minute, then
whisk until melted and smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold,
for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup cream and butter in small saucepan and stir over medium
heat until butter melts; remove from heat.
- Combine sugar and 3 tablespoons water
in heavy small saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase
heat and boil without stirring until color is deep amber, occasionally brushing
down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan, about 8 minutes.
add hot cream-butter mixture (mixture will bubble vigorously). Remove from heat
and stir until any caramel bits dissolve.
- Transfer caramel to small bowl and chill
until slightly firm (semi-soft), stirring often, about 40 minutes.
- Spoon caramel into center of baked crusts (about 2 generous tablespoons for each
crust). Set aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat chilled milk chocolate-cream mixture until peaks form;
spoon atop caramel in crusts, dividing equally (about 1/2 cup for each crust) and
- Chill at least 2 hours.
- Remove tartlets from pans.
- Lightly sift cocoa powder over tartlets and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Do ahead: Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover
and keep refrigerated.
Source: Bon Appetit - September 2006