For a tantalizing twist, add a teaspoon of finely shredded Florida Orange Peel
to the pastry mixture before adding the water.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded Florida Orange Peel (set aside)
- 1 tablespoon Florida Orange Juice
- 2/3 cup Florida Orange Juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 Florida Oranges, peeled, sectioned, and seeded
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and halved
- Thin strips of Florida Orange Peel (optional)
- Thin strips of lime peel (optional)
- Pastry for Single-Crust Pie: In a medium mixing bowl stir together 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut in 1/4 cup shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Using 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water at a time over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat until all dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, flatten the ball of dough with hands. Roll dough from center to the edges forming a circle about 13" in diameter. Ease pastry into an 11-inch tart pan with removable bottom, being careful not to stretch the pastry. Trim even with edge of pan. Prick bottom and sides of pastry generously with the tines of a fork.
- Bake in a 450 degrees F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.
- Cool pastry on a wire rack.
- Filling: In a medium mixing bowl combine cream cheese, the 1/4 cup sugar, and the1 tablespoon orange juice. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy. Stir in the 1 teaspoon orange peel. Spread filling in baked tart shell.
- For orange glaze, in a small saucepan combine the 2/3 cup orange juice, the 1 tablespoon sugar, and cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Cool completely.
- Arrange orange sections then strawberry halves atop cheese filling. Spoon orange glaze over all. Sprinkle with thin strips of orange peel and lime peel, if desired. Cover and chill up to 6 hours. Remove sides of pan from tart and place tart on serving plate.
Yield: 10 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Florida Department of Citrus
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.