Caramelized Onion Risotto Pie
- 2 Vidalia or Walla Walla onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and white pepper
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch
pieces or 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup arborio
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 1/2 cups warm chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup
freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and white pepper
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 tablespoon
- Peel onions, cut into quarters and slice thinly. In large heavy skillet
over medium low heat melt butter.
- Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper and cook
stirring often for about 10 minutes or until translucent. Increase heat to medium
high and cook, stirring often for 4 minutes or until onions are browned.
- Sprinkle with sugar, cook, stirring often for 6-8 minutes or until caramelized.
- Stir in sherry and Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
- Cook asparagus for 3 minutes-just to bright green.
- Drain and plunge into
ice water, drain and pat dry.
- Add to onions in skillet and cook over medium
- Stir in rice, cook, and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add wine and cook, stirring constantly until wine is absorbed. Now start
to add stock-1 cup at a time making sure each time it is absorbed completely.
When stock is absorbed and rice is tender firm stir in cheese, thyme salt and
- Stir in eggs and spoon into a buttered 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes and top is golden brown.
Makes 8 servings.
Posted by Diana Neal at Recipe Goldmine April 26, 2001.