Corn and Chile Pie
- Vegetable oil
- 6 or 7 (5-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles or 1 or 2 jalapeno chiles, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a small skillet with oil and place
over low heat.
- Briefly fry tortillas just to soften. Arrange tortillas in 9- or
10-inch pie plate, overlapping to cover bottom and overhang the
edges about 1 1/2 inches.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Sauté onion until soft.
- Stir in chiles and corn kernels and sauté
about 1 minute longer.
- Transfer mixture to lined pie plate.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top
of the onion and corn mixture.
- In a bowl, beat together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour over
- Bake about 45 minutes, or until almost set in the center.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Source: Totally Pies Cookbook - Siegel & Gillingham