- 1 (1/2 pound) jicama, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 1/2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell, baked and cooled
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine first three ingredients in small saucepan. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cover and boil gently 45 minutes or until most of liquid has evaporated. Drain well; set aside.
- Mix 3/4 cup sugar, flour and salt in saucepan. Beat yolks and 1 cup milk in small bowl. Stir into sugar mixture.
- Add remaining 1 cup milk and cinnamon stick. Stir over medium heat until mixture boils and becomes very thick.
- Discard cinnamon stick.
- Add jicama mixture to milk mixture. Cook and stir 1 or 2 minutes longer, until mixture is very thick.
- Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons butter.
- Put mixture into pie shell. Sprinkle with cinnamon and remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Cut remaining 1 tablespoon butter into small pieces and place over filling.
- Broil pie 3 inches from heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until butter and sugar are melted and bubbly. Watch carefully and do not let crust burn.
- Cool pie slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.