Purple Sweet Potato Pie
Cardamom, orange and ginger perfume this delicious pie. The filling’s beautiful deep-purple color makes it a stunning dessert-table centerpiece, as striking to look at as it is satisfying to eat.
The Purple Sweet Potato Pie was one of our Bake of the Week recipes for February 2022.
- Pastry for 9 inch single-crust pie
- 1 pound (453g) purple sweet potatoes, skin on
- 8 tablespoons (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup (198g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon cardamom, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (grated rind)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (113g) whole milk, room temperature
- Crunchy Granola, or your favorite granola
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Crust: Roll the pie dough into a 13 inch circle and transfer it to a 9 inch pie pan. Crimp the edges of the dough so they stand above the pan’s rim. Refrigerate the crust while you prepare the filling.
- Filling: Wrap each unpeeled sweet potato in foil and bake for 1 hour, until soft. To test for doneness, pierce a potato with a fork. If it pierces easily and feels soft, it’s done. If it’s still firm, bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Leave the oven on and position a rack in the bottom third.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, unwrap them and remove the skin.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl and mash by hand. Or mix on low speed of your stand mixer, using the flat beater, until mashed.
- Mix in the melted butter, then the sugar, cardamom, ginger, salt and orange zest.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until combined, then stir in the milk.
- Remove the crust from the refrigerator and pour in the filling.
- Bake: Bake the pie for 35 to 40 minutes, until the filling is firm. The internal temperature at the very center of the pie
should be 190 degrees F.
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool it to room temperature; refrigerate it if you won’t be serving it immediately. Garnish individual
slices with granola and fresh thyme leaves, if desired.
- Storage information: Store the pie, covered, in the refrigerator for up to several days.
Prep: 30 min | Bake: 35 to 40 min | Yield: one 9 inch pie
Nutritional Information - serving size: 1 slice (170g); Servings per pie: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 470 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 95mg Sodium: 350mg Total Carbohydrate: 54g Dietary Fiber: 2g Total Sugars: 28g Added Sugars: 25g Sugar Alcohol: 0g Protein 6g
* The nutrition information provided for this recipe is determined by the ESHA Genesis R& D software program. Substituting any ingredients may change the posted nutrition information.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
King Arthur Flour
Our thanks to Joanne Canady-Brown, who shares this special recipe with us.