Shiitake and Egg Breakfast Pizza
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 15 ounces stemmed shiitake mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3/4 teaspoon finely minced ginger
- 12 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 serrano chiles, thinly sliced in rounds
- 3 small Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/8-inch coins
- 3 pounds pizza dough
- 6 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons white soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 9 ounces thinly sliced fresh mozzarella, patted dry on a paper towel
- 3 ounces fromage blanc
- Sea salt
- Korean chili flakes
Lemon or lime halves
- In a large sauté pan, heat 6 tablespoons of the oil over high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté just to soften them.
- Add the ginger, scallions, and chiles and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Season lightly with salt. Remove from the heat and refrigerate.
- Toss the potato coins with 3 tablespoons olive oil and set aside.
- For each pizza, to order: Roll out 1 pound of dough into a 10- to 12-inch round
with a ridge at the edges to hold in the filling. Place it on a floured pizza peel.
- Whisk 2 eggs with 1 teaspoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
- Brush the dough with oil and sprinkle 1/3 of the mushroom mixture over the pizza.
- Pour the eggs on top.
- Garnish with 1 ounce of the potatoes, 3 ounces of the mozzarella, and 1 ounce
of the fromage blanc.
- Bake in a hot pizza oven until the bottom is golden.
- Remove and let rest for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the pizza with sea salt, chili flakes and a squeeze of lemon or lime.
- Cut into 8 slices and serve.
Yield: 3 pizzas; 24 servings
Recipe courtesy of Chef Todd Humphries, Kitchen Door, Napa.
Reprinted with permission from MushroomInfo.com.