Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
If you use all whole wheat, as this recipe suggests, you will have a hearty whole
wheat flavor. You may substitute part white flour if you prefer a lighter whole
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) safflower oil
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup warm (not hot) water and add 2 teaspoons of
honey. Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Make a depression in the
center of the flour and add 3 tablespoons of the oil and the other cup of warm
- Put flour on a kneading board. Add the yeast mixture to the flour and
mix the ingredients with your hands. Gather the dough together and place it
on the floured board. Knead the dough, adding more flour if necessary. Knead
for 8 to 10 minutes. The dough should be elastic and cohesive.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl that has been rubbed with oil. Brush the
top of the dough with the remaining oil. Cover the bowl with a clean towel and
put it in a warm, draft-free place for 1 1/2 hours.
This recipe will make:
2 thin crust pizzas, 12-inches each
2 stuffed pizza
1 thick crust pizza, 14-inch
6 (6-inch) pizzas
Posted by Footsie at Recipe Goldmine on 9/26/2001 8:41 pm.