Greek Spinach Phyllo Pizza
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 40 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9 x 14 inches), thawed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
- 2 cups Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat, add onions and garlic.
- Sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add spinach and sauté until all excess moisture has evaporated.
- Add basil, oregano, lemon juice and pepper. Mix well. Cool slightly.
- Prepare fillo pizza crust according to directions for pizza crust linked to the right using greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Spread spinach mixture on prepared fillo sheets.
- Top spinach with 1/2 of mozzarella.
- Dredge tomatoes in breadcrumbs and arrange on top of mozzarella.
- Top with remaining mozzarella and Feta cheese.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Prep: 25 min | Cook: 35 min | | Yield: one large pizza, serving at least 12 slices
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Athens Foods, Inc.