Pizza Del Giorno
- 5 cups halved, sliced yellow or red onions (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 8 ounces spicy fully-cooked smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 (12 inch) Italian bread pizza shell
- 1/4 cup broken walnuts, toasted
- 8 ounces mozzarella, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper or pimento strips
- Sauté onions with sausage in olive oil in large skillet for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Add a little oil if needed.
- Add vinegar and mix. Turn onion-sausage mixture over onto pizza shell.
- Top with walnuts, cheese, chopped herbs and bell pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until hot through.
Yield: 1 (12 inch) pizza; 6 servings
Nutrition Information: Per serving: About 671 cal, 34 g pro, 54 g carb, 36 g fat, 48% cal from fat, 70 mg chol, 1490 mg sod, 4g fiber
Recipe and photo used with permission from: National Onion Association