This is a specialty of Naples, Italy.
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 envelopes dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional toppings of your choice
- Combine 1/4 cup of the warm (not hot) water with the sugar and yeast in a small
bowl and stir gently to dissolve. Allow to proof in a warm place for 5 minutes.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the yeast mixture, the
remaining water, and 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Mix the dough until it forms a ball
and turn onto a floured work surface. Knead the dough until it is shiny and elastic,
about 15 minutes.
- Place the dough into a clean bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and allow to rise
until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and divide into 4 pieces. Shape each piece of the dough
into a circle about 10 inches in diameter by rolling and stretching it. Form a slight
rim around the edge with your fingers.
- Dust a baking sheet with cornmeal and place the dough on top of it.
- For each pizza, spread 1/2 cup of the sauce over the top of the dough, followed
by 1/2 cup of the mozzarella and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan.
- Add additional toppings
of your choice and drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over each pizza.
- Bake on the
lowest rack in a preheated 500 degrees F oven for about 10 minutes, until the crust
is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.
Makes 4 (10-inch) pizzas.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Savory Pizza Recipes