Tomato Pie is a Philadelphia classic. Bake it up and enjoy the bright tomato flavor on a thick bread crust.
- 24 Rhodes dinner rolls, or 2 loaves Rhodes bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Combine rolls and roll out to a 12 x 18-inch rectangle. Place on sprayed
baking sheet. Let rise for 30-45 minutes.
- Press dough to edge of pan to form the crust. Poke dough with a fork to
stop air bubbles from forming. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- While crust is baking, put a large saucepan on the stove at medium-high
heat. Warm butter and oil until simmering in the pan. Sauté shallot until translucent.
- Add sugar, oregano and garlic; stir until incorporated. Add tomato sauce
and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Blend sauce in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Remove crust from oven and cover with sauce in an even layer.
- Bake for another 5-10 minutes or until steaming.
- Top with parmesan cheese.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Prep: 15 min | Bake: 25-30 min | Yield: 12 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from: