Vine Ripened Tomato Pizza
- 8 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pizza dough for two pizzas
- Pinch of chili flakes
- 3 1/2 cups Swedish fontina cheese, grated (loosely packed)
- 20 slices red onions, sliced very thinly
- 2 medium vine ripened tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 6 ounces buffalo mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated very finely
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- Heat the oven to 500 degrees F and place a baking stone or tile in to heat.
- Heat a small sauté pan over medium heat and add the olive oil and the unpeeled garlic
- Sauté, stirring regularly, until the garlic skin begins to caramelize.
- Transfer to the oven and roast until the garlic cloves become uniformly golden brown.
- Remove and cool.
- When cool, remove the roasted garlic from the skins and place into a small bowl.
Mix thoroughly with a spoon to make a paste.
- Roll the dough into roughly 10-inch rounds using a pie pin or by pounding and
stretching the dough.
- Sprinkle a light cutting board or pizza peel with cornmeal or semolina and lay
the doughs down on it.
- Spread the garlic paste over the doughs then sprinkle the
chili flakes evenly and spread the fontina cheese over the dough, leaving a half
inch rim without cheese.
- Distribute the sliced tomatoes followed by the onion rings.
- Arrange the cherry tomatoes evenly over the cheese and onions and sprinkle the
fresh mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the edge of the crust becomes golden brown and the
cheese bubbles in the center.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cutting board.
- Sprinkle the chopped basil over and cut into six or eight pieces.
- Serve immediately.