Buttery Caramel Apple Pizza
- 2 Granny Smith or Honeycrisp apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons
fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 (16.5-ounce) package refrigerated
sugar cookie dough
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed, divided
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract,
- 2 (8-ounce) packages Wisconsin cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup cashews,
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toss apples together with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and water; set aside.
- Press cookie dough into 10-inch circle on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes.
- Remove pan to wire rack to cool.
- Combine butter, 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, corn syrup and remaining 1 tablespoon
lemon juice in heavy saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves,
- Add cream and stir to combine. Cook until mixture comes to boil. Do not scrape
any crystals that form on the side of pan into the mixture.
- Boil 3 minutes more, or until mixture reaches 234 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat, and add 1/4 teaspoon almond extract; stir and set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, remaining brown sugar and remaining extract; blend until
smooth. Spread over cool cookie crust.
- Drain apple slices and arrange over cream cheese layer. Top with cashews and
drizzle with as much caramel sauce as desired.
- Store remaining sauce in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Servings: 8 to 10
Reprinted with permission from
Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.