American Pistachio Popcorn
Yield: 2 quarts
- 2 quarts popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shelled natural American pistachios
- Keep popcorn warm in 250 degrees F oven while preparing coating.
- Melt butter in large saucepan; stir in sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to boil; stir constantly. Reduce heat to medium; boil without stirring for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; quickly stir in vanilla extract and baking soda.
- Place popcorn in large, heat-proof bowl; slowly pour syrup over popcorn while stirring. Add pistachios; mix thoroughly.
- Turn into a greased 15 1/4 x 10 1/4 x 3/4 inch baking pan; bake at 250 degrees F for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven; cool.
- Break into serving-sized pieces.
- Store in tightly covered container.