Caramel Corn 2
Stores don't carry caramel corn this good. It's extra creamy and full of rich
flavor. You'll find the Danish Creamery Butter takes this snack or dessert to the
- 6 quart unsalted popped popcorn (air-popped preferable)
- 1 1/2 cups whole almonds
or roasted unsalted peanuts (optional)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) Danish Creamery Butter
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking
- Heat oven to 250 degrees F. Put popped popcorn (and nuts if desired)
in a nonstick or buttered roasting pan or metal bowl; place in oven.
- Microwave: Melt butter in 2-quart glass bowl in microwave (High 1-1 1/2
minutes). Stir brown sugar and corn syrup into butter. Microwave High for 5
minutes - stopping the cooking to stir every 2 minutes. The mixture should be
very bubbly (temperature 250-255 degrees F). Note: For 650-750 Watt ovens, an
additional minute or two of cooking time may be necessary; stir after each additional
minute of cooking time.
- Stove: Melt butter in heavy 2-quart sauce pan over medium heat; stir in
sugar and corn syrup; bring mixture to a boil and then allow to boil 5 minutes
without stirring.) Stir in baking soda into hot mixture.
- Drizzle over warmed popped popcorn and toss using 2 wooden spoons or heat
resistant rubber spatulas to coat popcorn.
- Bake coated popcorn for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes | Yield: 6 quarts
Variation: Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract while stirring in the baking soda.
Source: Challenge Home Economist
Recipe and photo credit: