Cherry Almond Popcorn Clusters
- 5 quarts popped popcorn, unsalted
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup red glacé cherries, cut in quarters
- 1/2 cup toasted blanched whole almonds
- Keep popcorn warm in a 300 degree F oven.
- In a heavy medium-sized saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup, vinegar
- Bring to a boil; clip candy thermometer to pan.
- Cook syrup to 250 degrees F (hard ball stage).
- Stir in almond extract. Scatter cherries and almonds over the popcorn.
- Slowly pour syrup over all; toss lightly to coat evenly.
- Spread popcorn on buttered cookie sheet.
- Separate into clusters with a fork.
Yield: 6 quarts
Recipe and photo credit: popcorn.org