Coconut Popcorn Pie
- 2 quarts popped popcorn, unsalted
- 1 (4 ounce) can flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart vanilla, spumoni or butter pecan ice cream
- Sweetened fresh or defrosted frozen fruit or chocolate sauce, if desired
- 1 (12 inch) pizza pan
- Mix popcorn and coconut in a large buttered bowl.
- Combine sugar, syrup, butter or margarine, water and salt in saucepan. Bring to boil over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking until syrup reaches the hard crack stage (290 to 295 degrees F).
- Stir in vanilla extract. Pour syrup in fine stream over popcorn mixture; stir until particles are evenly coated
with syrup. Turn half of popcorn mixture onto buttered pizza pan; spread in thin layer covering bottom of pan. Mark off into wedge-shaped servings.
- Repeat using remaining popcorn mixture; cool.
- Cover one layer with ice cream; top with second popcorn layer.
- Store in freezer.
- To serve, cut into wedges.
- Serve plain or with fruit or sauce.