- 16 cups popped popcorn*
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon anise extract
- 1 tablespoon black food coloring
* 2 tablespoons unpopped popcorn will produce 4 cups (or 1 ounce) of popped popcorn.
- Place popcorn in large buttered baking pan.
- Put the sugars, water, and corn syrup
into a heavy pan over medium heat and stir. After the mix comes to a boil, scrape
sides of pan. Place a candy thermometer in the pan and cook, without further stirring,
to 250 degrees F.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in butter, baking soda, anise extract
and food coloring. Pour over popcorn, mixing well.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour,
- When cooled, store in airtight containers.