- 3 quarts unsalted popped popcorn
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup
light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 8 candy sticks, about 5 inches long
- Colored construction paper
large flat gum drops or mint patties
- Tiny flag
- Toy or candy horses and riders
- Place popcorn in large buttered bowl. Combine sugar, corn syrup, butter, water
and salt in saucepan. Bring to boiling point, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cook
slowly until syrup reaches the hard-crack stage (290-295 degrees F).
- Pour syrup
in fine stream over popcorn; mix just until popcorn is evenly coated.
- Shape eight
small popcorn balls, 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Press remaining popcorn mixture into
a buttered 9-inch layer cake pan.
- Make a hole 1/2 inch deep and the diameter of the candy stick into each of the
- Turn popcorn layer out of pan onto waxed paper or flat china plate to cool.
Press ends of candy sticks an even distance apart around edge of popcorn layer so
candy sticks stand upright.
- Cut gum drops in half making two flat, round disks.
Press cut surfaces of candy onto popcorn around edge of base.
- Cut a 12-inch circle from colored construction paper. Make one cut in circle
from outside edge to center. Shape paper into a cone 10 inches in diameter. Paste
edges together to hold cone in place; dry.
- Make eight holes for stick candy an even
distance apart around edge of cone. Place cone top on candy sticks and top each
candy stick with a small popcorn ball. Put flag in top of cone and arrange horses
between candy sticks.
Yield: 1 (10-inch) carousel