- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Green food coloring
- 5 quarts popped popcorn, unsalted
- Colored sugar crystals
- Large gumdrops
- Jelly rings
- 1 licorice string
- Combine sugar, water, corn syrup, vinegar and salt in a heavy saucepan. Bring
to a boil and cook over medium heat until mixture reaches 250 degrees F on a candy
- Remove one cup of hot syrup; add green food coloring and mix well.
Pour over two quarts of popcorn and stir to coat. Press into buttered 9-inch square
pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Pour remaining syrup over the other three quarts of popcorn.
When well-coated, form three small balls, 2 inches in diameter; roll in colored
- Press remaining coated popcorn into buttered 10-inch springform pan to a depth
of 1 inch.
- When popcorn is firm, remove from pans.
- Roll gumdrops and cut to make
a mouth; use large gumdrop for nose; jelly rings for eyes, and cut licorice string
and shape into eyebrows. Cut popcorn in 9-inch pan diagonally in half to make two
triangles. Form hat by curving 9-inch uncut edge of one to fit head. Cut remaining
triangle in half; trim to make bow tie. Secure hat, colored balls and bow tie to
clown head with toothpicks.