Super No Fail Caramel Corn
This tastes just like the caramel corn that I loved at the Iowa State Fair when I was growing up. Make it your own with the addition of nuts.
- 3 quarts popped popcorn
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), diced
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Place popcorn in a large bowl; remove any unpopped kernels.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large, deep pot, stir together brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and
salt over medium heat until well blended. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 5 minutes; DO NOT STIR.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in baking soda (mixture will foam). Quickly stir popcorn into hot mixture until completely coated. Spread onto prepared baking sheet and allow to cool.
- Break into smaller pieces.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.
Yield: about 2 1/2 quarts
Recipe and photo used with permission from: