Toffee Popcorn and Peanuts
- 10 cups popcorn
- 1 1/2 cups roasted peanuts or mixed nuts
- 1 1/3 cups granulated
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 14 tablespoons butter, cut into
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Put popcorn and nuts into a 6-quart bowl and stir.
- Oil blade of a metal pancake spatula and bowl of a wooden spoon.
- Combine the sugars, butter, water and salt in a 2-quart microwave-safe glass
casserole. Cover with wax paper and microwave on HIGH for 2 to 4 minutes, until
steaming hot and butter has melted. Stir with an unoiled wooden spoon until the
sugar crystals are almost completely dissolved.
- Cover again and microwave on HIGH for 2 to 4 minutes, until mix comes to a rapid
boil. Remove the wax paper and attach a microwave-safe candy thermometer to the
side of the casserole, making sure the bulb is submerged in the toffee mix.
uncovered, on HIGH for 8 to 10 minutes, until 311 degrees F, very hard-crack stage.
- Immediately pour the hot toffee mix over the popcorn and nuts. Stir with oiled wood
spoon until evenly coated. Scrape the toffee coated popcorn onto a marble slab or
two large baking sheets. Using the spatula, flatten into a single layer.
- Cool for
10 to 15 minutes, or until firm.
- Using your fingers, break the candied popcorn into bite-size pieces.
- Store in
an airtight container at room temperature.