Pork Roast Strata with Green
Chiles and Goat Cheese
This recipe is wonderful for Christmas morning or New Year’s Day because it takes advantage of the previous night’s leftover roast. You can substitute cooked sausage – breakfast or Italian – or even diced ham for the pork. On the side, serve a citrus and avocado salad and cinnamon-laced coffee.
- 12 ounces cooked pork roast, shredded or cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 5 cups)
- Oil spray
- 12 ounces crusty Italian bread, or French bread, with crusts, cut or torn into 3/4-inch pieces (about 12 cups)
- 1 (7-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 4 ounces chevre (spreadable goat cheese), crumbled(about 1 cup)*
- 3 tablespoons sage, chopped
- 7 large eggs
- 3 cups milk (low-fat is okay)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking oil.
- Arrange 1/2 of the bread in the dish.
- Top with 1/2 of the pork, 1/2 of the chiles, 1/2 of the cheese, and 1/2
of the sage.
- Repeat 1 time, making 2 layers. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Whisk in the milk, salt, and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over casserole and set aside for 20 minutes,
pressing on the bread occasionally to help it absorb the liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake until browned and the center is set, about 1 hour.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Prep time 60 min | Cook time 60 min | Serves 12
* Ideally, don’t use pre-crumbled cheese – it doesn’t melt as well.
Nutritional information: Calories: 220 calories Protein: 16 grams Fat: 9
grams Sodium: 460 milligrams Cholesterol: 150 milligrams Saturated Fat: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 19 grams
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
National Pork Board - porkbeinspired.com
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Leftover Pork Recipes