Crockpot Frito Pie
This cross between a taco salad and chili dip will deliver a cook-once-eat-twice meal or a convenient potluck dish for the backyard picnic crowd.
Try this recipe in tacos, burritos, and enchiladas or as a taco salad.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 pounds lean meat*
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup dry beans (or 15 ounce can pinto beans)
- 4 cups water (reduce to 1 1/2 to 2 cups if using canned beans)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) package corn chips
- 3 cups shredded Monterey jack and Cheddar cheese
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 16 ounces salsa
- 16 ounces sour cream
- Sliced olives
* Meat may be ground, stew meat or a roast. Try using beef, pork, lamb or
even game. If using a roast, cut the meat into 3-4 chunks. This will allow for easier
- Combine chopped onion, beef, garlic, beans, water, salt and taco seasoning in
slow cooker. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 8 to 10 hours.
- Before serving, shred meat by pulling apart with two forks and mix with juices.
- Serve on a bed of chips.
- Top with chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, salsa, a
dollop of sour cream and sliced olives.
Recipe serves 10 to 12.
If using this recipe as a cook-once-eat-twice, divide meat into convenient
meal portions and refrigerate or freeze for up to 3-4 months. When ready to use,
heat in microwave.
Source: Presented by Becky Low on June 23, 2003
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.