Beef Stew 2
centernoads.html" startspan -->[_includes/recipes-centernoads.html]
- 1 (2 pound) boneless chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 cups water,
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 medium carrots, halved widthwise
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 to 3 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a pressure cooker, brown roast on all sides in oil. Remove roast. Add cooking
rack; return roast to pan. Add 4 cups of water. Close cover securely; place pressure
regulator on vent pipe. Bring cooker to full pressure over high heat. Reduce heat
to medium-high; cook for 40 minutes. (Pressure regulator should maintain a slow
steady rocking motion; adjust heat if needed). Remove from the heat; allow pressure
to drop on its own. Remove meat and keep warm.
- Pour juices into a cup or bowl; skim fat.
- Remove rack from cooker. Add potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, salt, pepper,
thyme, bay leaves, pan juices and remaining water to cooker. Cover securely; return
cooker to full pressure. Reduce heat; cook for 8 minutes. Immediately cool according
to manufacturer's directions until pressure is completely reduced. With a slotted
spoon, remove vegetables and keep warm. Discard bay leaves.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into the pan juices. Bring
to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with the meat and vegetables.