Chicken Rice Soup
- 1/4 cup or less olive oil
- 4 to 5 small leeks, washed thoroughly and sliced
- 1/2 cup rice, uncooked*
- 6 cups fat free chicken broth (one large can College
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut up with skin removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and add leeks and sauté for about 2 minutes.
rice and cook, stirring often, for about 1 minute.
- Add broth, chicken, lemon juice,
celery, parsley, salt and pepper, bay leaf and tarragon. Secure lid. Over high heat,
develop steam to high pressure. Reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook for 10
- Release pressure according to manufacturer's instructions. Remove lid.
- Remove chicken from soup. Remove chicken from bones, cut into 1 inch cubes, add
to soup. Remove bay leaf. Discard bones.
- Add carrots and simmer uncovered for about
10 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Refrigerate and skim off any fat that develops.
- Serve hot with chopped parsley as a garnish.
Makes 6 servings.
* May substitute 2 cups of noodles, broken into pieces, for the rice.