Greek Meatballs and Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 pound beef, veal and pork ground together (or ground turkey)
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 medium size onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 slices bread, finely crumbled (store bought bread crumbs if you want)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil or less
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 slices bacon, diced (optional)
- 2 carrots, coarsely diced
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth or stock
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon mint
- 2 bay leaves
- Cooked pasta or rice to serve
- Prepare meatballs. Set aside.
- Meatballs: Combine meat, sherry and the egg in a bowl. Add onion, garlic, bread
crumbs and seasonings. Knead until completely mixed. Shape into walnut-size meatballs.
Do not over-handle or they will be tough.
- Sauce: In a pressure cooker, sauté onion, garlic, tomato paste, bacon, carrots, and
parsley over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce or puree, broth, sherry,
brown sugar, salt, pepper flakes, oregano, fennel, mint and bay leaves. Stir to
combine, and add meatballs. Secure lid. Over medium-high heat develop steam to high
pressure. Reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook 10 minutes.
- Release pressure
according to manufacturer's directions. Remove lid. Gently stir meatballs in
sauce. Discard bay leaves. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Skim fat from surface.
- In a pressure cooker, sauté meatballs in hot oil over high heat until lightly
browned. Cook about 10 meatballs at a time, turning with tongs.
Source: The Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Toula Patsalis
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pressure Cooker Recipes