Amish Apple Fritters
- 8 medium firm cooking apples
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup milk
- Confectioners' sugar
- Peel and slice the apples into 1/4-inch slices.
- Combine the brown sugar and lemon juice in a 10-inch shallow dish.
- Add the apple
slices, spooning the sauce over both sides of the fruit. Allow to stand for 1 hour,
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a heavy skillet.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl beat the egg yolks thoroughly and add the rind and milk. Combine
with the dry ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl beat the egg whites until stiff, then gently fold them into
the batter. The batter will be puffy and there will be some white patches showing.
- Dip the apple slices into the batter, firmly pushing the slices into the batter
until both sides are covered.
- With tongs, drop the apple into the hot oil and cook until golden on one side
- about 2 minutes.
- Turn and fry on the other side for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Amish Recipes