- 2 pounds crusty white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, poached
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 1/4 cups potatoes, diced
- 3 teaspoons sage
- 3 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 5 eggs
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Boil potatoes until just barely tender. Drain and set aside.
- Poach chicken and set aside to cool.
- When cooled, skin, debone and chop meat finely. Discard skin.
- In a large bowl add bread, chicken, parsley, onion, celery, carrot, potatoes,
sage, celery seed, thyme, pepper and turmeric. Toss well to combine.
- In a medium bowl beat eggs, evaporated milk and chicken stock together.
- Pour over bread mixture and mix well. Mixture will be quite moist.
- Allow to stand for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F, and lightly grease a 3-quart casserole.
- Transfer dressing to prepared casserole dish and bake for 1 1 1/2 hours, or until center
puffs up and top is golden brown.
Source: Cooking from Quilt Country - Marcia Adams