Amish Fry Pies
- 9 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups shortening
- 2 cups water
- Thick fruit filling
- Shortening for deep fat frying
- 8 pounds powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- Pies: Combine in large mixing bowl the flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas.
- Add water a little at a time until the four mixture is moistened. Form into 4 balls. Divide each ball into 10
pieces and roll each piece into a circle.
- Top one side of circle with filling and fold circle in half. Cramped edges to seal.
- Heat shortening; fry a few pieces at a time in deep fat until golden brown.
- Glaze pies while still warm. Cool on wire rack.
- Glaze: In large mixing bowl, combine all glaze ingredients until smooth.
- While pies are still warm, dip them into glaze.
- Allow pies to drip on wire racks until cool.
Yield: about 40 pies