Amish Oven Fried Chicken with Gravy
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon marjoram, dried
- 8 or 9 chicken pieces - legs, thighs, breasts
- 1/4 cup pan drippings
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken: Place oil and butter in a shallow cooking pan (such as a jelly roll pan) and
put in a 375 degree F oven to melt. Remove from oven.
- In a large paper sack or bowl combine flour and seasonings.
- Roll a few pieces
of chicken in oil and butter mixture, then shake them in sack to cover or roll in
mixture in bowl.
- Place chicken in pan with remaining oil butter mixture skin side down.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Turn it over and bake 5 - 10 minutes longer -until top crust begins
- Cream Gravy: Blend 1/4 cup drippings from pan and flour in skillet over medium
- Gradually stir in milk and cook, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth
- Stir in parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.