Amish White Bread
- 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 cups bread flour
- In a stand mixer add warm water, sugar and yeast. Stir to mix. Let rest for
for 10 minutes.
- Add oil, salt then the flour. Mix on low with dough hook attached until
combined. Increase mixer speed to medium and mix for 5 minutes.
- Take dough out of bowl and shape into a ball. Oil the same stand mixer
bowl. Turn dough to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and then a towel
and let dough rise until doubled, about an hour.
- Punch dough down and shape into two loaves. Put into well greased loaf
pans. Cover and let rise until dough rises out of the pan about 1 inch.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 minutes.
- If desired, brush the tops with egg wash for a shiny finish before
Photo credit: vigilant20 (דָרוּך) on VisualHunt / CC BY-NC-ND